Sig's German "Napkin Dumpling".
You can have Sig's German "Napkin Dumpling" using 8 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Sig's German "Napkin Dumpling"
- You need 400 grams of soft white bread.
- You need 500 ml of full cream milk.
- You need 4 of eggs.
- You need 1 pinch of ground nutmeg.
- You need 1 pinch of salt or salt substitute.
- It’s 1 of table napkin (cloth) or other cotton cloth of same thickness..
- It’s 1/2 tsp of salt or salt substitute for boiling dumpling.
- Prepare 1 pinch of sugar and cinnamon mixed for the sweet version only.
Sig's German "Napkin Dumpling" instructions
- Chop the bread slices into equal small chunks.
- Mix all other ingredients and pour over the bread that you have placed in a bowl..
- Fill two pots one large one medium with water one big enough to hold your dumpling, the other to boil and sterilise your cloth .Bring to simmer both pots. Sterilise your cloth in the smaller pot..
- When the egg/milk liquid is all soaked up into the bread, (on a tray to avoid to much mess ), remove cloth and roll the bread mass into the sterilised ( make sure cloth is cool enough to touch) napkin, sausage shape . Securing tightly with string each end. Do not roll the dumpling itself in to tight as it needs to expand..
- In the larger pot boil add the salt for simmering the dumpling..
- Hang the knotted ends of the dumpling over a wooden spoon and gently place the dumpling into the simmering salted water for 45 minutes.
- Remove and leave to drain for a while . Remove carefully from cloth and leave to cool slightly. Slice into thin portions either to serve as a sweet or to add to a savoury meal..
Love to Cook and Food Delicious…