German Soft Pretzel Sticks.
You can have German Soft Pretzel Sticks using 9 ingredients and 16 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of German Soft Pretzel Sticks
- It’s of Appetizers/Snacks.
- It’s 1/2 cup of light brown sugar.
- You need 2 envelope of active dry yeast.
- You need 1/4 cup of vegetable oil.
- Prepare 5 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour plus more for kneading.
- It’s 3/4 cup of baking soda.
- You need 1 large of egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water.
- You need 1 of pretzel salt ( optional ).
- It’s 2 quart of plus 2 cups warm water.
German Soft Pretzel Sticks step by step
- In a large bowl mix 2 cups warm water and brown sugar until dissolved..
- Stir yeast into mixture and let stand until foamy. 5 – 10 minutes usually..
- After yeast has foamed, stir in vegetable oil and 3 cups of the flor. Knead in remaining 2 and 3/4 cups flour. Dough will be slightly sticky..
- Transfer the dough to a floured work surface and continue to knead until dough is silky. About 3 minutes. If dough is still sticky you can add up to 1/4 cup flour gradually..
- Place dough in large oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let sit at room temperature until double in size. About 45 minutes to an hour..
- Preheat over to 450°F and line 3 cookie sheets with parchment and butter the paper..
- Punch down the dough and on a flour work surface, Knead it slightly then flatten the dough out and cut into 24 even slices..
- Roll each piece into a 9 inch stick about half an inch thick. Transfer each stick onto buttered cookie sheets. Let stand uncovered until puffy. About 25 minutes..
- In a large deep skillet or large pot, add the baking soda to the 2 quarts of boiling water. Reduce the heat to moderate but not a rolling boil. In between boiling and simmer..
- Using 2 slotted spoons, carefully add 3 pretzel sticks at a time to water. Depending on how large the pan is, you may add more or less. Do not crowd..
- Cook in the simmering water solution 30 seconds, turning once. Add about 1/2 to 1 cup hot water to pan after each batch you par boil..
- Transfer the water bathed pretzels to a paper towel to drain off excess water..
- Return the drained sticks back to the buttered cookie sheet. Space them evenly apart..
- Brush the sticks with egg wash mixture and sprinkle with pretzel salt if desired..
- Bake about 8 to 10 minutes or until browned. Some like dark brown and some light. its up to your taste how dark to get them, they are great either way..
- Serve with mustard or any dipping sauce you like. Beer cheddar sauce or honey mustard is excellent for these. You may also roll them in Cinnamon and sugar mixture as soon as they come out of oven for a sweet treat!.
Love to Cook and Food Delicious…