Semmelknödel (German Bread Dumplings).
You can have Semmelknödel (German Bread Dumplings) using 8 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Semmelknödel (German Bread Dumplings)
- You need 1/2 of baguette or 2-3 Kaiser rolls (about 150 g total).
- You need 1 of egg.
- You need 1/4 of onion, finely minced.
- You need 160 ml of milk (2/3 cup).
- You need 3 Tbsp of flour, or more if needed.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of nutmeg.
- You need to taste of salt & pepper.
- It’s 1/4 cup of parsley, finely chopped.
Semmelknödel (German Bread Dumplings) step by step
- Prep your ingredients! The bread should be a day or two old, as you want something tough with almost no moisture. We can optionally dry it out in the oven (see step 3).
- Cut up the bread into small cubes. If it's still moist, let's dry it out in the oven..
- Preheat oven to 325°F/160°C. Layout the bread pieces on a baking tray or sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes or until slightly dry..
- Meanwhile, sauté the onion in a little butter or oil until soft and translucent. Remove the onions and warm up 160 ml (2/3 cup) milk in the same pan..
- Add the dried out bread, sautéed onions, 1 egg, 1/4 cup chopped parsley, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 3 Tbsp flour and some salt and pepper to a mixing bowl..
- Pour in the warm milk and mix well with your hands. If it seems a bit dry, add another tablespoon or two milk..
- Let the mixture soak for 15 minutes. Test to see if the mixture holds together when forming a ball. If not, mix in a tablespoon or two of flour until it does..
- Wet your hands with cold water (it keeps the mix from sticking to them!), and form about 6 large bread balls..
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add some salt, and carefully add the semmelknödel to the pot. Make sure the boil isn't too vigorous or they might fall apart..
- Cook for about 15 minutes until firmed up. Remove finished semmelknödel from water and let drain over paper towel..
- Serve into bowls and pour over some gravy, creamy mushroom sauce, or other thick sauce..
Love to Cook and Food Delicious…