Simple French Onion Soup.
You can have Simple French Onion Soup using 11 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Simple French Onion Soup
- You need 1/2 cup of unsalted butter.
- You need 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Prepare 4 cups of sliced onions.
- Prepare 4 (10.5 ounce) of cans beef broth.
- You need 2 tablespoons of dry sherry.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of dried thyme.
- Prepare 1 pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare 4 slices of French bread.
- Prepare 4 slices of provolone cheese.
- It’s 2 slices of Swiss cheese, diced.
- It’s 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese.
Simple French Onion Soup step by step
- Melt butter with olive oil in an 8 quart stock pot on medium heat. Add onions and continually stir until tender and translucent. Do not brown the onions..
- Add beef broth, sherry and thyme. Season with salt and pepper, and simmer for 30 minutes..
- Heat the oven broiler..
- Ladle soup into oven safe serving bowls and place one slice of bread on top of each (bread may be broken into pieces if you prefer). Layer each slice of bread with a slice of provolone, 1/2 slice diced Swiss and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Place bowls on cookie sheet and broil in the preheated oven until cheese bubbles and browns slightly..
Love to Cook and Food Delicious…