You can have German Rouladen using 9 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of German Rouladen
- You need 12 slices of thin top round beef.
- It’s 1 lb of thick sliced bacon (chopped & cooked).
- Prepare 1 of onion (minced).
- It’s 3 cups of beef broth.
- Prepare 8 oz of bread & butter pickle slices (chopped).
- You need 1/4 cup of flour.
- Prepare to taste of salt & pepper.
- It’s 3 tbsp of vegetable oil.
- You need 1/3 cup of butter.
German Rouladen instructions
- Lay out each slice of beef & season with salt & pepper. Spread about a tbsp of each the bacon, onion & pickles on each. Roll the meat up tightly & secure with a toothpick..
- Heat oil in a large high walled pan over medium high heat. Place rolls in the pan. It's ok if they are packed in tightly because they shrink as the cook..
- Sautée the rolls on each side until browned. Add remaining pickles, onion & bacon to pan in between & around the rolls. Wherever there is space in the pan..
- Add a bit of beef broth & try to scrape the drippings from the meat rolls from the bottom of the pan. Add the rest of the broth& bring to a boil. Let boil for a minute & then reduce heat to a simmer & cover for an hour to an hour in a half..
- Remove rolls from pan. Tent aluminum foil over plate with the meat to keep them warm..
- Stir together in a bowl the flour & water. Stir til smooth. Slowly pour this mixture into the gravy in the pan to thicken, stirring constantly! Bring gravy to a boil as you stir until gravy has reached desired consistency..
- Gently remove toothpicks from meat rolls. Be careful! Rouladen should be extremely tender & you don't want them to fall apart..
- Return the meat rolls back to the gravy & heat for 5 more minutes. Serve warm & enjoy!😊.
Love to Cook and Food Delicious…