German Dark Rye Bread.
You can cook German Dark Rye Bread using 13 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of German Dark Rye Bread
- Prepare of In a large mixing bowl, stir the following together, then let rest for about 5 minutes:.
- It’s 2 cups of water, heated to 100-115⁰.
- It’s 1/4 cup of brown sugar.
- Prepare 2 of pkgs active dry yeast.
- Prepare of Add the following, and then beat well and let sit for 10 minutes:.
- It’s 1/4 cup of molasses.
- It’s 3 1/2 cups of rye flour.
- It’s 3 Tbsp. of cocoa powder.
- Prepare 2 Tbsp. of Hodgson Mill Vital Wheat Gluten.
- It’s 1 Tbsp. of caraway seeds.
- It’s of Add the following, and then mix in well:.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of melted butter.
- You need 2 tsp. of salt.
German Dark Rye Bread instructions
- Mix in 1 cup all-purpose or bread flour. Mix in enough of remaining 1 ½ to 2 ½ cups bread flour to make a soft dough. Knead for 8-10 minutes..
- Oil a large bowl and put in the kneaded dough. Cover with a damp towel and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour..
- Divide dough into 2 pieces. Gently work the dough to eliminate air bubbles, shape into loaves, and place in oiled, parchment-lined bread pans. Place large bowl over the pans (not a damp towel, as the dough may rise and stick to it) and let rise 1 hour, until nearly doubled. Slash the tops of the loaves a couple of times with a very sharp knife. Pre-heat oven to 400⁰..
- While pre-heating, for a chewy crust, place an empty metal baking pan on the lower rack of oven. When oven is up to temperature, put bread in oven; at the same time, add ¼ cup water and a couple of ice cubes to the lower empty metal baking pan and immediately close the oven door..
- Bake in for 25-28 minutes. Immediately remove from pans and cool on a wire rack..
Love to Cook and Food Delicious…