German potato dumpling. German Potato Dumplings, aka Kartoffelklöße or Kartoffelknödel, bring back great memories of my Mutti's Sunday dinners. Her recipe used cooked potatoes to create a traditional dumpling that goes. Learn how to make German Potato Dumplings!
Potato dumplings (called Kartoffel Kloesse in Germany) are a delightful addition to any German feast. The browned butter sauce is delectable.—Arline Hofland, Deer Lodge, Montana. German potato dumplings can be made with either cooked potatoes or half-raw grated potatoes. You can have German potato dumpling using 6 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of German potato dumpling
- Prepare 1 kg of cooked potatoes.
- You need 2 tsp of salt.
- It’s 220-250 gr of potato starch.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of semolina flour (optional).
- You need 1 of egg.
- Prepare Pinch of nutmeg.
There are many recipes for German potato dumplings, or kartoffelkloesse, and this one is possibly. Traditional German Potato Dumplings or balls, also known as Kartoffelkloesse, made two ways: with cooked potatoes and with a mixture of cooked and raw potatoes. A perfect side dish to meat dishes. Just what the name implies – these are German-style potato dumplings, as found everywhere in the South of Germany, Austria and Bohemia.
German potato dumpling step by step
- Boil the potato with the skin until well cooked in enough water. Around 20 minutes..
- Strain and cool the potatoes down..
- Peel the potatoes. Press the potatoes using potato presser/masher..
- Cool it down overnight in the fridge or 3-4 hours..
- In a bowl, mix the potatoes, salt, potato starch, nutmeg, semolina flour. Give a taste, add extra salt as your wish..
- Knead the dough until it is well mixed..
- Add little potato starch if it is needed, depends on the consistency of potatoes. The dough should not be too hard and not sticky..
- Take a good portion, shape it into ball as your desire size..
- Keep it aside..
- Boil enough water in a pot. Bring the water into boil. Turn down the heat into very low level..
- Place the potato dumpling into the water. Slowly boil it for 10-15 minutes..
- The dumpling will come up and float in the water..
- Let it float in the water for another 2 minutes. Nb. The water is not allowed to boil..
- Strain it out and serve it as side dish..
These are traditionally served with any roast with gravy. German Potato Dumplings [Kartoffelknödel] prepared with a simple potato dough. Perfect dumpling side dish with Sauerbraten or Goulash. One kind of many variations of dumplings. Classic German Potato Dumplings are called gekochte Kartoffelknödel or Gekochte Kartoffelklöβe.
Love to Cook and Food Delicious…