German Potato Pancakes – Kartoffelpuffer.
You can have German Potato Pancakes – Kartoffelpuffer using 8 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of German Potato Pancakes – Kartoffelpuffer
- You need 1 lb of potato (about 2 medium or 3 small Russets or other starchy potato).
- You need 1/2 of onion.
- Prepare 3/4-1 teaspoon of salt (start with a lower amount, you can add salt at the table).
- It’s of ground pepper.
- It’s of freshly ground nutmeg (optional and to test).
- Prepare 1 of egg.
- Prepare of oil (for frying).
- It’s 1/3 cup of flour.
German Potato Pancakes – Kartoffelpuffer instructions
- Peel and grate potatoes. Place the grated potatoes in a clean dishcloth or cheesecloth and squeeze the liquid out of them into a bowl. Let the liquid stand a few minutes, then drain the liquid, leaving potato starch at the bottom of the bowl. Add the potatoes..
- Grate the onion over the potatoes. Add salt, pepper, nutmeg, flour and egg. Mix thoroughly..
- Heat oil in a frying pan. You can use a non-stick pan and just a few drops of oil, if you wish, but for best results use 1/8 to 1/4 inch of oil..
- Using about 1/2 cup, drop the potato mixture into hot oil and flatten with the back of a spoon. Fry 4-5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve hot with applesauce..
Love to Cook and Food Delicious…