German Black Forest Mashed Potatoes and Apples.
You can cook German Black Forest Mashed Potatoes and Apples using 7 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of German Black Forest Mashed Potatoes and Apples
- Prepare 3 pounds of red potatoes.
- Prepare 2 of large tart apples (granny smith is best).
- You need 4-10 of bacon strips (I prefer 10).
- It’s 2 of medium onions.
- It’s 1 tbsp of sugar.
- You need 1 tbsp of cider vinegar.
- You need 3/4 tsp of salt.
German Black Forest Mashed Potatoes and Apples instructions
- Preparation: Cube the potatoes (either peeled or unpeeled is fine), peel and slice the apples, and peel and chop the onions..
- Place potatoes in large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let cook for 10 minutes..
- Add the apples and continue to cook for another 10 minutes or until potatoes and apples are tender..
- Meanwhile, cook bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove bacon and put onto paper towel, and then chop/crumble into small bits..
- Sauté onions in bacon drippings until lightly browned..
- Drain the water from the potatoes/apples, add sugar, salt and vinegar, and mash slightly..
- Add to serving bowl, layering potatoes/apples with bacon bits and onions until there are three or four layers. Slight mixing is optional, as well as the addition of the bacon drippings (about 1 or 2 tbsp worth)..
Love to Cook and Food Delicious…