sig's Rags and Fleas( German Cabbage and Meat Broth).
You can cook sig's Rags and Fleas( German Cabbage and Meat Broth) using 18 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of sig's Rags and Fleas( German Cabbage and Meat Broth)
- It’s of Rags and Fleas.
- You need 1 of For the Rags and Fleas takes its name from the rag resembling torn cabbage and the cumin seeds that look like fleas. :-).
- You need 1 of This dish is traditionally eaten in Hessen in Germany. It was however taken long time ago to Ireland by German settlers. Legend has it that this dish is forerunner of Irish Stew..
- Prepare 500 grams of mutton cubed, but lamb or beef can be used.
- You need 1 kg of cabbage of choice, shredded or torn finely.
- It’s 1 of vegetable stock cube.
- You need 1 tbsp of cumin seeds.
- It’s 1 of good pinch of salt (optional).
- Prepare 1 pinch of of fresh ground black pepper or cayenne pepper.
- You need 1/4 liter of of water.
- You need of little dumplings known as snowballs.
- Prepare 15 of waxy not softboiling potatoes.
- You need 1 of onion chopped very finely.
- Prepare 1 small of bunch of parsley,chopped very finely.
- It’s 125 grams of of softened butter.
- Prepare 4 of eggs.
- Prepare 1 of -2 tablespoons of plain flour.
- You need 1 pinch of each salt, pepper, nutmeg and marjoram.
sig's Rags and Fleas( German Cabbage and Meat Broth) instructions
- clean and shred the cabbage, cube the meat into mouth sized pieces, add into a pot with the water, add stockcube, salt, pepper and cumin.Simmer slowly for 2 hours until meat is tender. ( or use your crockpot on low to medium).
- season with salt, pepper if needed and add more cumin seeds if liked.
- serve with rustic bread , a cold lager or pilsner goes down well with this.
- for the dumplings. Normally these are made with white potatoes but I needed to use up some purple potatoes, they came out this colour by the time I added all ingredients..
- boil potatoes the day before eating in their skins and peel.The next day mash them down preferably through a potato ricer..
- gently heat the butter and soften onions and parsley for about 5 minutes. Add this to the potatoes. First add one egg one after the other stirring it in. Add flour, stir in, add herbs and spices, stir in well..
- boil in a large pot salted water with wet hands make little balls drop them gently into simmering water for about 15 minutes, serve with Rags and Fleas or any other stew like dish..
Love to Cook and Food Delicious…