Chicken and Sausage Gumbo (as taught to me by my FRENCH CAJUN grandma!).
You can cook Chicken and Sausage Gumbo (as taught to me by my FRENCH CAJUN grandma!) using 10 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chicken and Sausage Gumbo (as taught to me by my FRENCH CAJUN grandma!)
- Prepare 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour.
- It’s 1/4 cup of vegetable oil.
- You need 3 stalks of celery.
- Prepare 1 of green bell pepper.
- You need 1 of onion.
- Prepare 2 lb of White meat chicken.
- Prepare 1 packages of smoked sausage.
- You need of salt.
- Prepare of pepper.
- It’s 4 cup of water.
Chicken and Sausage Gumbo (as taught to me by my FRENCH CAJUN grandma!) step by step
- Boil chicken in water until cooked..
- Remove chicken. Save broth from chicken..
- Pull chicken apart into shredded pieces or chunks removing any fat or tendons. Set aside..
- Dice vegetables. Set aside..
- Chop sausage. Set aside..
- In large pot pour in vegetable oil. Heat on medium heat for about 2 minutes..
- Pour flour in with oil and stir. You may need to add a bit more flour. You want it to have the consistency of a thin paste..
- Constantly stir scraping bottom of pot. Do this until roux is very dark. About the color of brown gravy but darker. The stirring and scraping are very important. If you let it sit too long you'll burn the roux..
- Once roux is darkened add your vegetables. Stirring constantly for 2 to 3 minutes..
- Pour broth from chicken into pot. The roux will look like it's not mixing. Don't worry. As you cook it it will mix in evenly..
- Add chicken and sausage. Add more water if needed to cover all ingredients plus some (real Gumbo is thin and watery, not thick). Probably another 2 or 3 cups..
- Cook for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Stirring occasionally..
- Serve over rice..
- Season to taste..
Love to Cook and Food Delicious…