French Onion Soup. French onion soup (French: soupe à l'oignon [sup a lɔɲɔ]) is a type of soup usually based on meat stock and onions, and often served gratinéed with croutons or a larger piece of bread covered with cheese floating on top. Warm, cozy, and flavorful, this French onion soup is prepared with beef stock and caramelized onions. Top with croutons covered in melty Gruyere and Parmesan cheese.
French onion soup is one of my favorite comfort foods. For years, I hadn't been able to find a good vegetarian version of it, because it's traditionally made with beef broth. French Onion Soup is made of caramelized onions in a rich beef-wine broth and is served with a signature cheesy toast topping. You can cook French Onion Soup using 10 ingredients and 2 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of French Onion Soup
- It’s 1 tbsp of Olive Oil.
- You need 2 tbsp of butter.
- Prepare 6 of Vidalia onions thinly sliced.
- It’s 1 of salt and pepper.
- Prepare 2 tsp of fresh thyme.
- Prepare 1 of bay leaf.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of dry sherry.
- You need 6 cup of beef stock.
- It’s 6 slice of toasted, thickly sliced and lightly toasted.
- It’s 2 cup of Mozzarella cheese to your liking (1-).
It originated in France and just like Borscht, it is timeless and well-loved. One-Pot French Onion Soup With Porcini Mushrooms. Learn how to make French onion soup with this classic French onion soup recipe! It's easy to make, full of amazing flavor, and can be made vegetarian by using vegetable stock.
French Onion Soup step by step
- Heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add onions, season with salt, pepper and thyme. Cook onions until tender, sweet and caramel colored..
- Add sherry, bay leaf and deglaze. Add beef stock, cover and bring to a boil. Arrange ovenproof bowls on a baking sheet. Preheat broiler. Ladle soup into bowls, float toasted bread on soup and cover with mozzarella . Broil until cheese melts and is bubbly and lightly browned..
I use a French Onion Soup recipe of an old ballet friend's mom as a guide, then tweak things a little here and there. My ballet friend's name was Paige and even though I haven't seen her since high. French onion soup is a bistro classic, the most homey and delicious example of good café cooking. But only a handful of frugal ingredients make up this restaurant favorite. French onion soup can be a little fussy, time-consuming, and tear-inducing, but if you've got a few hours on a rainy Saturday, there are few better ways to spend it than in the pursuit of this classic.
Love to Cook and Food Delicious…