French Onion Soup with Parmesan/Cheddar Croutons.
You can have French Onion Soup with Parmesan/Cheddar Croutons using 15 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of French Onion Soup with Parmesan/Cheddar Croutons
- You need 4 large of Yellow onions, finely sliced.
- Prepare 4 of Red onions, finely sliced.
- It’s 1 of Leek, finely sliced and washed.
- You need 5 clove of Garlic, minced.
- Prepare 40 grams of Butter.
- You need 2 tbsp of Olive oil.
- It’s 1 of Dried bay leaf.
- You need 1 of bouquet garni of parsley, thyme and oregano.
- You need 1 3/4 of Litre, good quality chicken stock.
- Prepare 1 cup of Red wine.
- Prepare 1 of Splash of cider vinegar.
- It’s 1 of Grated cheddar & Parmesan to serve.
- It’s 1 of Salt and pepper to taste.
- It’s 1 of French stick, sliced thickly diagonally.
- You need 1 of Grated cheddar and Parmesan.
French Onion Soup with Parmesan/Cheddar Croutons step by step
- Slice all onions and leeks..
- Heat a large heavy base melt butter and add olive oil- high heat. Add onions and leek. You want to sweat down onions slowly for around and hour. Stir occasionally, and return lid so that it 3/4 covers pot- allowing steam to escape..
- You will have to turn temp down whilst cooking onions, you don't want to burn or over do them. Meanwhile, gather herbs and tie together with string to make bouquet garni..
- Deglaze pot with wine and vinegar. Add stock and herbs. Bring to the boil- reduce heat and simmer for a further 1/2 hour. Check and adjust seasoning if needed..
- Now to get croutons ready. Heat oven to 160*C. Slice French stick. Grate cheddar and Parmesan over bread. Grate extra cheese to add to soup..
- Bake until golden brown an cheese has melted. Remove and set aside..
- Serve soup in a bowl with a sprinkle of cheese and top with croutons. Yum!.
Love to Cook and Food Delicious…